Sunday, July 28, 2013

Classroom Posters on the Cheap...and a Discount Code!

Have you priced posters lately?  It's insane how much some of them can run.  Recently I was at a school supply store looking for posters for my 1st grade classroom.  I was trying to match the decor and colors that I planned to use in my classroom.  I kept coming up empty.  I'm pretty nifty with the computer, so I decided to come home and just figure it out on my own.  What I found out was that making posters from home and having them printed is super simple!

I found two resources for printing posters.  The first one is www.staples.com .  Once on their site, look for the Copy & Print services on the left hand side of the page.  You basically start the process like you are going to make a regular color print.  Once you've uploaded your design (more instructions on that in a moment), choose 11x17 for the size.  You get 2 paper choices.  One is a regular copy paper type and the other is more of a card stock.  The regular copy paper is $.98 and the card stock is $1.97.  I decided to go ahead with the card stock.  I had 5 posters printed and I am THRILLED with the results!




Next I decided that I needed a few that were a little larger.  I needed a birthday poster and a 120 chart for my math board.  Again, I couldn't find anything that I liked.  Personally I didn't want to pay what Staples wanted for a larger size print, so I started looking around.  I found a really great website called www.shortrunposters.com .  You can get an 18x24 for only $2.97.  Now shipping was a little higher - right under $10, however if you are ordering multiple posters the price doesn't go up making it a good deal to get exactly what you want.  I ordered 2 and was COMPLETELY thrilled with the final product!




I just got them on Friday, so I haven't had time to laminate and hang them yet.

So, here are the super difficult instructions on how to create a poster.  Ummm, nope.  I don't do difficult.  Here are the super EASY instructions on how to create a poster.

First, open PowerPoint if you're on a PC or Keynote if you're own a Mac.

Next, change the size of the slide.  For Keynote you choose the Inspector.  I'm not in front of a PC right now, so I don't remember exactly where you go, but look for the option to change your slide size.  You want to multiply the size you would like your poster by 72.  So, if you want an 11x17 poster you would make your slide size 792 x 1224 and for an 18 x 24 you would make the slide size 1296 x 1728.

Make your poster by adding text, images, etc.  There are a ton of great resources online for teachers to use free clipart for their classrooms.  Just google "free teacher clipart" or "free owl clipart" etc.

After you have your slide exactly how you want it, export it as a PDF and save it.

Now you're ready to upload the file to Staples or Short Run Posters!

Now, Short Run Posters is running a deal right now.  You can get FREE SHIPPING by using the code popJULY13.

This has been a great resource for me to learn for my classroom and I hope that you can use the info, too!

Several of the above posters are available in my TPT store.  You can find them HERE.


1 comment:

  1. Thanks for this post! Just put in my first order and can't wait for it to arrive!

    ReplyDelete